Wednesday 15 June 2011

Movie review: James McAvoy, sorry...X-Men First Class

Last night I went to see X-Men: First Class and loved it. It was exactly what I thought it would be; an action movie covered in a thin layer of translucent plot with a healthy side serving of cheese.

What really made this evening of high-quality low-thought entertainment was the casting of James McAvoy as the young Charles Xavier. X-Men was two hours of James McAvoy deliciousness.

James McAvoy made it on to my Grade 12 'celebrity husbands' list (I think Jane's as well, but she might not like that I said that) and I think he'd still be on there if, say, I got desperately bored at work one Friday and wrote a new version. He and January Jones both played telepathes and I think they were the sexiest mutants in the whole movie. James McAvoy as the thinking, charming but incredibly powerful mutant and January Jones as the evil side-kick strutting through the movie in a series of skimpy or leather outfits a la a 1960's Bond film.


If you know what should happen in the comics, you probably won't enjoy the movie. But that's so often the way with book → movie translations; guaranteed to disappoint and annoy most fans. I personally got very indignant at the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 trailer before the film started.

Anyway, the movie was very entertaining provided you had no expectations. I'm not going to try for a more sophisticated review – there are enough reviews by people who really care about the franchise for that. Just go if you like a night of mindless entertainment and James McAvoy.








1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...