Monday 22 August 2011

B re-reads Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

I won't lie – this is my least favourite HP book. In fact, it's the only episode I prefer the movie over the book. Because the book is short and well-edited, unlike the book.

Re-reading it now, I find I'm not as pissed off at Harry as I remember being. He is still an annoying, selfish overly-dramatic snot who can't manage his temper or his testosterone. But somehow, it doesn't last for as long as I thought. The irritation I feel at the book is annoyance at Harry for the first third of the book and then anger at Bitch-Features Dolores Umbridge for the rest. With intermittent Harry-anger as well.

Bitch-features!

However, all that annoyance-whingeing aside there is so much to love about this book. I adore everything to do with the DA. The Harry / Cho story I'm not keen on, however it's kind of important as character development for Harry and the progression of the romantic story lines, which feed and bounce off each other for four novels.

Luna is just fantastic. How can you not love Luna? I think she's brilliantly portrayed in the movie – just as I imagined her to be. Different and dreamy and wise beyond her years.

Don't mess with Luna.

Then of course this is a starring book for the Weasley Twins. The novel is full of their Weesley Wizard Weezes, their glorious fireworks – which allow the teachers to rebel against Umbridge (bitch features) – and then when they leave so dramatically – it's fan-freaking-tastic!

And then there's ... foreshadowing!

“De - men – tors,” said Harry slowly and clearly. “Two of them.”
“And what the ruddy hell are Dementors?”
“They guard the wizard prison, Azkaban,” said Aunt Petunia.

“How d'you know that?" He asked her, astonished.
Aunt Petunia glanced Uncle Vernon in fearful appology, then lowered her hand slightly to reveal her horsy teeth.


“I heard – that awful boy – telling her about them years ago,” she said jerkily.

She means James. NO she doesn't. 'That awful boy' is the young Severus Snape. But we won't know that for another 1,000 page.

When they walk into the Hogs Head for their first DA meeting:

The barman sidled towards then out of a back room, He was a grumpy-looking old man with a great deal of long grey hair and beard. He was tall and thin and looked vaguely familiar to Harry.

Because he's Dumbledore's brother! And we won't find that out for another 1,000 pages either!

The scenes in the Ministry are horrifying, because they're ALL HARRY'S FAULT! So dark and full-on. Then … when Sirius … dies ... oh wait, give me a minute ... re-reading it, I still cried.


Don't mess with Dumbledore. He's a total bad-ass.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...