Sunday 2 October 2011

Buy Nothing New October

I get a particular financial newsletter in my inbox every fortnight. I received the newsletter last Friday 30 September, opened it and 3 minutes later had signed on for Buy Nothing New October.

I'm not sure exactly why or how this happened but some part of my brain that has superior control over my motor functions clearly thought it was a good idea. I am trying to organise my finances, set long term goals and get my life sorted for 2012, so in theory at least the 'pledge' – yes, pledge – that I have taken is a good idea.

Buy Nothing New Month according to their website is:

Buying Nothing New is not about going without, nor is it Buy Nothing New Never.

It’s about taking October to reassess what we really need, think about where the stuff we buy comes from (finite resources), where it goes (landfill), and what our alternatives are.

It is about conscientious consumption and by not spending on stuff we don’t need, increasing our savings for the things we do need.

You can still buy essentials such as food, drink and medicines. If you want anything else you need to ' beg, borrow, barter, swap or buy secondhand'. It's a great concept actually, though I don't suppose retails want it to take off. We all do tend to buy too much 'stuff' and this is about taking a month off from that, taking the time to realise just how much money you spend on things you don't necessarily need and hopefully saving a bit of moolah.

The only problem for me if that I don't buy that much new anyway. I op-shop and vintage shop. The challenge for me is to not be consumerist in the Paddington Antiques Centre or my local favourite Endo's. That's harder for me than it might appear because I am always seeing fabulous second hand and vintage finds that I want to buy. But no, if I can't put away my consumerist tendencies for one month then I have some problems.

Buy Nothing New Month – a great idea and a good personal challenge.

That being said, I do need some an A5 ring binder folder to organise my papers … if anyone has a spare going begging?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...